Saturday, June 14, 2014

Day 3 - On The List

Yesterday was another very long day, more blood, xrays, mental gymnastics etc.  In the end the Transplant committee formally approved me to be listed as a 1A so I am on the list here at Cedars.  The approval came late enough that all of my accrued wait time from Abbot in MN won't make the regional list, most likely, until Monday.  Not sure if it matters with the status 2 transplants we have done here this week (meaning there are not many 1As or 1Bs).  I was moved out of the Cardiac ICU at 3 PM to the step down unit out on the floor.  My awesome nurse, Alfred, came in and said we have 10 minutes to pack you up and move you.  All the sudden 8 people were in my room cramming stuff in bags and forcing me into a wheel chair.  Once I got to my new room I had most of the wires taken off of me (SPO2, BP Cuff, and the telemetry cable).  I still have tele on me but it is the portable that I can stick in my binder.  I was able to brush my teeth and wash my hair and generally feel human again.

I also was able to finally get off the cardiac diet (no salt, no fat, no taste).  I think the nurses were happy to get rid of me.  It has taken about 2 days but the docs and nurses have finally started to warm up to my special brand of sarcasm and self deprecating humor.  My BP this morning was 75/45 which is VERY low, but I think that is due to the 2 pints of blood I have given. I have had some good nights sleep here surprisingly.  Today we get to go outside to the plaza for 45 minutes, all of the LVAD patients and total artificial heart patients (TAH).

At this point it feels like the wait, the race to the finish line, is here.  There is a long walk way in the hallway, 6 laps is a mile.  My goal is to walk 5 miles per day while waiting.  Also looking forward to finally being able to play my guitar again.

1 comment:

  1. You are strong and able to fight the good fight, Peter. That heart is on its way to you, and the LVAD and restrictions will be a distant memory. Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers always!

    ReplyDelete