Monday, June 16, 2014

Speeding ticket

Today started with a call from the Transplant Coordinator telling me that my accrued wait time has been assigned to Cedars, and is no longer at Abbot.  Any transplant candidate can be listed at multiple centers but only one can be your primary center.  Cedars is now my primary center with all my time bumping me to the top.  There have been 80 transplants here this year and 6 in the past week.  Things definitely feel day to day at this point never knowing if today is the day the call comes.

I have met 4 Total Artificial Heart patients.  Something totally new for me and very Star Trek.  Look up Syncardia Total Artificial Heart.  Great option for patients that have no other options left but very weird to see someone wheeling a suitcase size pump around that is making noise.

I have come to appreciate the value of being at such a large center where Transplants are as common place as knee procedures.  The doctors and surgeons here are amazing and love what they do.  Totally takes the edge off of any fears.

I was warned last evening about walking too fast.  I have set a goal of walking 5 miles around the floor each day (6 laps per mile).  I did 5 yesterday and 6 today, but I digress.  I was told I am walking too fast and the point is not to walk fast but to walk for a length of time.  Now coming from someone who looked like she walked for neither time or speed I didn't take this very well.  I told her that was the problem with heart disease, people constantly tell you to lower your expectations.  In addition I said that if I walked faster I could walk further, and since I had nowhere to be what exactly did it matter anyway?  Seriously, WTF!!!


1 comment:

  1. Keep your sense of humor, Peter! It's great medicine. Sending positive thoughts your way, and prayers for you and your family.
    Joan

    ReplyDelete