Thursday, July 3, 2014

Operation DAVL

Last night at 8:00 PM PST I received the call I have been waiting for from the Transplant Coordinator.  The phone rang in the room, I answered and heard, "Hi Pete, this is Jennifer, how are you?"  I could tell she was in her car and she was smiling.  I asked, "Fine, what's up?"  Then Jen said, "What are you doing later, have any plans?  We have a heart for you!"  I was shocked and surprised and my hands were shaking.  The nurse came in immediately and drew about 20 vials of blood and I met with the surgeon, and a cardiologist.  About 2 AM things settled down and I tried to lay down and get some sleep.  No such luck.  People started visiting me again around 6 AM to check in and begin the daily rounding. 

Currently the team does not have a Operating Room (OR) time.  OR time is when I say my goodbyes and I am sent into the surgical team's care.  The donor is local to LA, young, and healthy.  The delay in the surgery time is finding a recipient for the lungs.

I have decided to give my surgery a codename, Operation DAVL, pronounced "Devil!"  The astute observer will notice that DAVL is actually LVAD backwards.  This little pun represents the removal of my LVAD and the start of my new life.  Barring anything changing at this point my next post will be after my surgery:-)

2 comments:

  1. Pete, you are in our thoughts and prayers. Praying for your donor family at the same time. God bless all of you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pete,waiting to how successful your surgery went and how you are doing. Reminding you that you are held gently by many. Loving you, Teresa.

    ReplyDelete