Thursday, August 7, 2014

5 Weeks later...........(Act of War by Brad Thor review)

Tomorrow makes 5 weeks.  I have one week until I reach the magic 6 week mark.  At 6 weeks my sternum is considered healed and I can start cardiac rehab and run.  I have not run since about a month before I got my LVAD.  At that point I couldn't run for 5 minutes without have to stop because I thought I was going to pass out.  Yesterday I walked 4 miles on the treadmill in 57:30.  I think it's pretty good that I am one month out and walking sub 15 minute miles.  I feel like I could run now but I don't want to risk anything at this point and jeopardize the gift I have received.  My first refill of pills came today.  The box was so big I thought someone shipped me a basketball, lol.  I had heard horror stories of  post transplant taking 70 pills a day.  So far I am taking about 15 twice a day.

I finished "Act of War" by Brad Thor last week.  True to form 5 pages in I was hooked.  I love Brad's books because they are realistic, informed, relevant, and as a veteran I relate to his views and perspectives.  I am so thankful that Brad mailed me a copy of this and I hope that he and I connect during my last three weeks here.  I highly recommend this book and anything Brad has written.  Can't wait to read the next one.

2 comments:

  1. Pete! I saw someone in the airport today that reminded me of you, and when I googled to find your blog I became completely captivated by your story. It had been a while since I'd read and I was worried then. But so happy to read your courageous journey and the success that you and your medical team worked so hard to capture. It's clear to me the positive impact you made on your destiny! Wow, u r impressive All the best as the road continues, but here's to many happy healthy days ahead! -Teri Morgan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Peter,
    Your story and journey are amazing and inspiring. Your positivity is incredible-thanks for helping me to be more grateful for what I have today. I am so glad to hear thta you are recovering well and on this side of the transplant. Many many blessings to you and I hope to hear that you are in the transplant olympics someday soon!!!

    I left you al long message on Google+. I would appreciate talking to you about your journey because we have a friend who needs a heart. I am sure he would love to talk to you directly, too. I left my contact info on google-Thank you so much for your consideration-Susan Strobel

    ReplyDelete