Thursday, July 2, 2015

1 Year on July 4th

It has been a little over six months since I last posted.  A lot has happened in that time.  I turned 42:-)  Also, I had my 1 year exam three days ago and I received a complete clean bill of health.  My cardiac function is outstanding and my doctors are very happy about my progress.  I have some tricuspid valve regurgitation which is more than the doctors want but I can live with it for decades before any treatment is required, provided it remains stable.  Also I had some protein in my urine that the doctors think is likely exercise related so that will be watched,   But I have to say that after 12 months things are better than I could have ever hoped.  All my exams have been great these past six months and we now move in to maintenance mode.

My dad received his call on May 28th at Newark Beth Israel.  He was at the hospital for a visit and the Dr. told him that they had just accepted a heart for my dad.  He went into the OR at 5 PM EST that day.  His new heart started beating on its own at 3 AM EST on May 29th.  It has been a long journey for my dad, but he makes positive steps every day.  I cannot wait for him to get home and get his life back.

This week has been filled with many emotions.  While I am excited about the milestone I am also filled with a heavy heart thinking of my donor and his family.  Where was he a year ago, where is his family now, are they ok?  I want to know who my donor was and what his goals in life were......who he was, what he wanted to be, what dreams did he have?  I want to honor the gift I have been given, the sacrifice that was made and make something good of this.

I received a call today from one of my great friends Dennis.  He received his call this morning, that he too would received the gift of life.  He is in surgery as I write this.  When he called me he knew that today was my day and he was excited to share with me that today was his day.

I saw an eagle today, it had been too long since I saw one flying.  It was beautiful, graceful, and amazing.

1 comment:

  1. Congrats to both you and your dad. I passed my 8 year milestone in May and life continues to be good. I am in TOTAL awe every day of this journey. I wish you and yours the best.

    ReplyDelete