Tuesday, May 15, 2012

The Final Countdown

It has been awhile now since my last post.  Time has been marching on.  I was in clinic yesterday for Pulmonary Flow Tests and a right heart cauterization.  Not too bad, but a very long day.  My case is going before the transplant committee tomorrow for the final determination on if I go to be elevated to 1A next Thursday.  In talking with one of my doctors yesterday at the hospital I think they may leave it up to me at this point.  The trade-off to be made is balancing my current health (which is good other than the heart failure and LVAD) against the risk that the pump could fail at some point in the future.  How do you decide when to have a transplant when you are otherwise healthy?  Please tell me:-)

I was at Baylor Heart Hospital in Plano, TX last week and had a really amazing experience.  I was taking questions from nurses about living with a LVAD and discussing in general the patient perspective.  One nurse approached me and after a short discussion shared that her son had donated his heart 20 years ago.  We had a moment and talked about the courage it took to make the decision to donate, and how happy she is that he made that choice.  She has built a relationship with the woman who received the gift and she talked about what a wonderful lady she is.  It was an amazing moment to be there and share it with her.  I hope that I have that type of experience with my donor family.........So, more to follow after the transplant committee meets tomorrow.  8 and a butt days...............

No comments:

Post a Comment