Friday, November 1, 2013

No, I don't do heroin

I just returned home from a 4 day, 3 night stay in the hospital to have my driveline infection surgically removed.  I was admitted on Tuesday at 8 AM and waited for 8 hours in in pre-op cooking under a surgical gown with a hair dryer hooked up to, frying me.  Finally at 4 PM my surgeon, Dr. Sun came in to rescue me.  After 40 minutes of dreaming  I was in recovery.  I have been visited by the vampire 19 times this week, my arms are riddled with holes and bruises.  IV drugs are definitely not my poison.  Literally every 3-4 hours for 4 days, day and night.

The doctors have said that the average wait time on 1A for a heart transplant candidate, blood type O, is about 90-100 days.  I have 70 days as of today.  So I was told to be prepared for the call inside the next month.  I met with three other patients waiting for hearts while I was there.  People would cringe if they heard the jokes being made behind closed doors about Halloween accidents etc.  I guess it is part of the process.  I feel very strongly that things are aligning, like the eye of a storm, rotating around my universe getting me ready.

I survived on Caribou coffee, Metallica music, and the site of a bald eagle that I saw every day from the view in my room.  It makes me smile and think about the freedom of being on the other side of this and gives me strength to spread my wings and soar higher.

1 comment:

  1. I was involved with the doctor and hospital for just a few hours today and they stuck me every chance they got, so I can only imagine how you feel. I couldn't do it and decided to leave against medical advice. Seeing my son go through it was horrible enough and the hospital is definitely no place to get any rest. I admire the bravery in both of you! (I could use a little of that bravery for myself)

    Here's to you soaring, cord free, with all the freedom of that eagle!

    ReplyDelete