Friday, January 3, 2014

Sometimes the truth is stranger than fiction...............

128 days and counting.  I am beginning to feel like the call is a message in a bottle floating in the pacific ocean..........will it ever come to shore?  My entire life at this point is wrapped around waiting to get a new heart.  No complaints, I feel awesome, however I do want to get on with my life, the one that doesn't involve Velcro, batteries, harnesses, and a binder around my middle.  I have seen eagles repeatedly around the Minneapolis area so I am hopeful of the great things to come:-)

Since I last wrote life has been turned upside down.  My father went into the hospital at Columbia Presbyterian in NYC on December 12th.  He was diagnosed with Heart Failure and on December 20th had open heart surgery.  He now has a LVAD, a Heartmate II of his own, just like me.  I am absolutely dumbstruck that my own father has the exact same device.  I am quite sure that we are in rarified air...........seriously, how many father son LVAD patients can there be?  I flew out to see my dad on 12/21 and was there until 12/24.  Very Deja vu to see a repeat of what I went through two years ago.  In addition he had 3 valves repaired, the first time his surgeon ever had to do such a comprehensive repair. He was very very sick. 

Dad is now 1A on the transplant list and likely will not go home until he is transplanted.  His recovery has had some bumps as he recovers from the surgery, including some heart rhythm issues that required an ablation.    He has always been a huge source of strength and inspiration for all of us and we expect nothing less from him now.

Very interesting to see other VAD patients and clinicians from another center.  Some were quite shocked to see someone healthy.  Hard to believe I am the only healthy LVAD patient, others I am sure are doing as well as or better than I.

My mom now has her husband and her son both at the top of the transplant list in two different locations.  I cannot imagine how she keeps it all together, but she does somehow.  It was great to see her and my sisters when I went home, but wish it was under dramatically different circumstances.

To pass the time in the hospital and bring some levity the attached picture shows how we amused ourselves.  Think of this as the mood barometer, sort of a enter at your own risk.

5 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness... both of you! Your poor mother and the stress she must be having.

    My son has taken a turn (after explant) and is now in the hospital waiting for a transplant. Passing the time is hard, especially when you are flat on your back.

    Good luck to you and your dad and blessings to your mom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You, your father and the rest of your family are in my thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You, your father and the rest of your family are in my thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just found your blog and I have to say your story is inspiring. I am 26 and need a heart/liver transplant. I am not in a critical position yet but in a way it is comforting to hear how other people cope. Thanks for sharing your story, your family will be in my prayers.
    http://transplantlifeasweknowit.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Peter, I hope you are doing well, you haven't updated in quite some time.

    One month after this post, my son received his heart transplant. Not going to lie, it has been tough, but he's hanging in there and showing improvement.

    Thoughts and prayers to you and your dad.

    ReplyDelete