Monday, July 7, 2014

Transplant plus three days

Hello from the step down unit.  I was moved out to the floor this morning at 10 AM.  It has been an up and down couple of days.  I have been quite groggy and dealing with some pain, which I don't remember from three years ago.  I think it likely that I was so sick three years ago that I don't remember this initial part.  Friday was very uncomfortable being extubated and then reintubated.  I was feverish and sweating profusely the entire day and night.  I got almost no sleep.  Saturday was slightly better but I was able to exist with just the CPAP mask and my O2 Sats were up.  Sunday was slightly better but as I have started the immunosuppression I have had headaches, nausea, and some dizziness.  Last night though I started to feel better and was able to sit in a chair for three hours.  My hands are completely numb, very hard for me to text or type.  I also have fluid in my hands and legs.  That being said I am finally clearing the haze and starting to have some appetite.  I am on strong antibiotics for my driveline infection, some anti diabetic  meds to keep my sugars in order when I eat, and Prograf and Cellcept for immunuspuression.

I have some pain in the chest cavity and under my ribs on the back side by my shoulder blades. I am guessing this is do to the chest tubes, of which there are 4.  The plan of attack for this week is to keep removing tubes from my chest, training tomorrow, biopsy on Wednesday and a goal for discharge on Thursday.  It is crazy, I can't hardly believe it.  A lot could change between now and then.

In a surprise, last weekend Brad Thor called me.  Check out his website at www.bradthor.com.  He has been following me for some time and he sent me a signed copy of his new book.  Super exciting to know you have been noticed.  I received a copy of his book this morning and can't wait to sit down and read it.

3 comments:

  1. Thank you so much, Peter, for this blog. I have been thinking of you and hoping all was well - and it is so great to read that you have finally gotten your heart! And possible discharge on Thursday - WOW!
    One of your Sat AM YMCA cyclists

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Peter, thanks for the courage to share your journey through social media. I am sure that you will continue to inspire many lives. You are in our thoughts and prayers.

    Luis Perez

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pete - glad to seeing you are posting again - if you get discharged on time you should have plenty of time to recover before the #ABF reunion in Vegas - no excuses! LOL - so happy for you and your family. All my best - Shannon

    ReplyDelete