Friday, January 27, 2012

Interesting LVAD Story

I just received this story from a Google Alert that I get daily. Such a great story and it really summarizes the details nicely. The newscaster says his batteries last 7-9 hours although it has been my experience for 10 months that they last consistently 15 hours. The cardiologist said it was just approved last year, but I think he meant to say that it was approved for Destination Therapy (DT) just last year, it has been FDA approved for Bridge to Transplant (BTT) since 2004. The other funny part of this story is that while I am from the Hudson Valley, just down the road from Albany Medical Center, a close family friend of ours, someone my dad went to HS with was the first heart transplant recipient at Albany Medical Center. They no longer do transplants but it is nice to see them using the LVAD technology as I think it is a miracle. I have debated just living with this for as long as I can that it is so good.  Albany NY Medical Center LVAD patient Video

No comments:

Post a Comment